looking at dries van noten fall 2012 shoe. from my sketchbook - decadediary
yesterday, the french institute alliance invited dries van noten to do a lecture as part of their fashion talks 2012 series. i had the immense pleasure of sitting through the conversation, as it’s a rare occasion to catch a glimmer of insight from an amazing designer who avoids the spotlight and any sort of self promotion. in an industry where prominent presence is often synonymous to being a spectacle, that he certainly is not. an excellent example of an exception to that standard, mr. noten mentioned that he prefers to divert any excess attention because he only wants to communicate through his clothes and fashion shows.
dries van noten was every bit of soft spoken thoughtfulness that i imagined him to be. he spoke for over an hour about his creative process, how he picks out his textiles, gardening and his dog. here are some of my favorite things he said that i was able to jot down…
i prefer ugly things. you force yourself to ask questions.
on the secret to being an independent designer for 27 years:
to continue. there is always a tomorrow.
on what you would find if you opened his own closet:
something very boring.
always start with a story. i don’t have a muse. it can start with a painting, a movie, a sound or a smell.
i prefer short trips, just enough time to have a detail. it’s more inspiring than a long trip for two weeks. now you have the freedom to add on to that element.
i think it’s a very good thing to do with fashion. with fashion you try to do everything, you try to control everything. with a fashion show if you want rain, you go get rain, if you want sunshine you can get fake sunshine. in a garden, not so. it really puts your two feet on the ground. it’s something very human and i think that’s very good.
his best advice:
take your time.
- free-soles reblogged this from voil-a
- free-soles likes this
- artkate reblogged this from katemonteith
- sarrvssarv reblogged this from keiraandsomemarmite
- youlanguidair reblogged this from robbiefuu
- killmarcial likes this
- turritopsisnutricula reblogged this from orysmatik
- fiercemildness reblogged this from xoxo-loser
- orysmatik reblogged this from not-n
- suzanargh likes this
- xoxo-loser reblogged this from oxxymorons
- tresblanc reblogged this from not-n
- oxxymorons reblogged this from not-n
- michelerandell likes this
- not-n likes this
- oyclu likes this
- estuarios likes this
- yama-bato likes this
- in-my-galaxie likes this
- journalofanobody reblogged this from apatheium
- craevite reblogged this from bumpinto
- bumpinto reblogged this from onsomething
- sonokutu3rd likes this
- artd3sign reblogged this from onsomething
- comfortfashionfit reblogged this from katespadeny
- live-at-teardrop reblogged this from yourheadsonly
- yourheadsonly reblogged this from onsomething
- rygpeace reblogged this from formido
- deirdreannb likes this
- thursdayaddams likes this
- ninapersson reblogged this from nouvelle-nouveau
- darianiff likes this
- styleless reblogged this from nouvelle-nouveau
- nouvelle-nouveau reblogged this from timetopretend
- nanouchkapod reblogged this from onsomething
- qiuyee reblogged this from meijiberry
- moduloshop likes this
- mrs-leopard reblogged this from larameeee
- larameeee reblogged this from onsomething
- oceanocielo reblogged this from for-hanna
- davitmaldonado reblogged this from onsomething
- davitmaldonado likes this
- queb0nita likes this
- keiraandsomemarmite reblogged this from lylaandblu
- linowska likes this
- chloetailor likes this
- lefthandrightsoul reblogged this from onsomething
- darkwingscity likes this
- hnn87 reblogged this from onsomething
- vincentlassiaz likes this